How I Self-Published My First Book

Android Development for Everyday People - Book Cover

This month ends on a high for me. On the 23rd of this month, I officially became an author. Clicking the image of the book above will take you to the book page on Amazon.

Writing a book was no mean feat for me. It was a process of transformation that spanned 9 months. I started off writing the tutorial series for Android Development for Everyday People.

The first blog post of the series was posted on February 2oth. By the time I did the last post of the series on  I knew I had enough content to create an ebook.

I reached out to Packt in order to be able to publish my book but they never returned my email. Once I accepted that I was on my own, I knew that if it was to happen, it would depend on me making it happen.

I drew a line in the sand and decided that I would publish this book by October 25th. It was a hard deadline I set for myself and as the date drew near, I blogged everyday about my struggles. You can find it on my new blog. The series of posts can be found here.

Since the writing was completed, the next phase would be to start editing the book. In my case, editing would also mean compiling the individual drafts of the book into a single ebook.

I needed to use a WYSIWYG editor to create the single ebook. There are a lot of options available but I settled on BlueGriffon. I created a single HTML file for the entire book.

Inspiration hit and I got the idea for what my cover design would look like. In the end, I used MS Paint to create my book cover.

Once I was done, I had to compile the book into a form suitable for Kindle. To do this, I used Mobipocket CreatorMobipocket Creator then created the Kindle version for me. Once I figured this out, I had to do the book layout again.

I will not bore you with how difficult it was to edit, create and preview an ebook several times. At the end, I got a book I was satisfied with.

Creating an Amazon KDP account was easy. The hard part was getting filling the tax forms. It took up to an hour to get it right. Once this was done, I uploaded the book file and book cover to the Amazon store.

The next day, I got confirmation that my book was on the Amazon store from my publisher account. Later in the day, the book was available on the Amazon store.

It has been a long and tiring 9 months of transformation. In the end the result is there for you to see.

Have a great weekend.


Android Development for Everyday People – Cover Design

Android Development for Everyday People - Book Cover

Welcome to a new month.

Its been a long road getting here. Today I have finally gotten to the place where I can show the world the cover design for my book Android Development for Everyday People.

As the year runs to an end, I plan to release it this month across various on-line stores. Currently editing the final draft. It should go on sale this month.

I am grateful to have made it this far.

Nigerian States and Capitals

Nigerian States and Capitals

Welcome to a new week. Last week challenging but I was able to create my first App Inventor application. It marks the end of the search for a simple, easy and free tool for mobile application development.

Nigerian States and Capitals is finally on the Google Play store. I am glad to have done it. Regardless of the outcome, I went the distance.

Development was easy. I tested it using BlueStacks. BlueStacks is a tool for running Android applications on the desktop. For me it allows me to develop and test my apps from my PC.

After successfully completing the edx App Inventor Course last year, I took the Mobile CSP course. It inspired me to really complete this application.

Nigerian States and Capitals is my first mobile application using App Inventor and I am just getting started. With  App Inventor my laptop has become an app factory capable of mass producing mobile applications. For the rest of the year, I intend to develop 1 mobile application each week.

For now take a look at Nigerian States and Capitals.

Teaching App Inventor to Kids

MIT App Inventor Logo

At work, its been really busy. With the start of a new year, we decided to teach mobile application development to kids ages 7 and above.

That decision led to me doing the edx App Inventor course last year. This year, I have developed a learning curriculum to teach the kids mobile computing. The lesson plans have been completed and our portfolio site is up. Some material from Mobile CSP was used in creating the curriculum so I dare say that I have done my homework.

I wish I could say I wasn’t nervous about tomorrow but it would be a lie. My experience in teaching kids has made me acknowledge the fact that kids have a way of throwing out the plan. So whilst I am confident of the content that I have spent time developing, somewhere at the back of my head is the knowledge that I might have to adapt my curriculum to the needs of the class.

Have a great weekend and see you next week.